The Australian Senate Community Affairs Committee has conducted an inquiry into the outcomes of the National Disability Strategy.
ACCAN was pleased to be able to make a submission to the inquiry highlighting the key areas in which consumers with disability are struggling to get and stay connected to communications services:
- Functionally equivalent access to anytime, anywhere telecommunications services,
- Inclusive access to broadcast television and video on demand services,
- Full and equitable access to all government online information, services and employment opportunities for public sector employment,
- Access to appropriate mainstream and assistive ICT equipment, with training and ongoing support in digital literacy, and
- Financial solutions to assist with the costs associated with initial and ongoing connectivity.
ACCAN made a number of recommendations which we believe will improve participation and inclusion for people with disability.